2018 Legislative Action Plan
- Work with the Minnesota Department of Transportation, legislative leadership and transportation committees,
Governor’s administration, Metropolitan Council, Minnesota Transportation Alliance and key congressional
members and staff to secure increased transportation funding.
- Support the regional efforts of:
- North Metro I-35W Corridor Coalition MnPASS Lane Project between Minneapolis and Blaine
- North Trunk Highway 65 Coalition
- Highway 10 Workgroup
- 169 Coalition to relieve congestion on Highway 169 in the North Metro
- Highway 252 Conversion Group
- Connect Blue Line Now! Coalition to address barriers and begin construction on Blue Line Light Rail (Bottineau) project
- Trunk Highway 65–Assist Blaine to provide significant capacity enhancements including upgrading major intersections.
- Highway 169 at 101st Avenue, Brooklyn Park–Assist Brooklyn Park, Maple Grove, and Champlin to secure funding for an interchange and other improvements.
- Trunk Highway 10–Assist Coon Rapids and Anoka to secure funding to construct a third lane between Hanson Boulevard and 7th Avenue in Anoka. Assist Ramsey and Anoka to secure funding to construct all recommended Trunk Highway 10 Access Planning Study improvements.
- Trunk Highway 610–Assist Maple Grove to secure funding to complete 610 and advocate for improvements through the Fish Lake split and expanding capacity on I-94 from Maple
Grove to the west. Assist Coon Rapids to secure funding for full interchange on 610 in Coon Rapids
- Trunk Highway 252–Work with Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park, Hennepin County, the Minnesota Department of Transportation and the Metropolitan Council to resolve transportation system safety and congestion issues.
- Assist North Metro cities to secure funding for County State Aid Highway (CSAH) reconstruction/improvement projects.Transportation Funding
- Work with the Minnesota Department of Transportation, legislative leadership and transportation committees, Governor’s administration, Metropolitan Council, Minnesota Transportation Alliance and key congressional members and staff to secure increased transportation funding.
Rail Crossings and Rail Safety
- Support funding for modernization and separation of rail-vehicle traffic as a critical matter of public safety and congestion relief along all major rail lines in the North Metro.
- Assist Ramsey to secure funding for road/rail separation at Ramsey and Sunfish Lake Boulevards along the BNSF main line, adjacent to US Highway 10.
- Assist MnDOT to secure funding for road/rail separation along the BNSF main line at Trunk Highway 47 in Anoka.
- Work with the NMMA legislative delegation, League of Minnesota Cities, Metro Cities, Anoka County, Ramsey County and other stakeholders to be sure the collective North Metro voice is heard and ensure that the Local Government Aid and Metro Area Fiscal Disparities programs remain intact. Advocate for NMMA perspectives in debates over comprehensive tax reform proposals.
- Support and advocate for TIF legislation sought by member cities for and support the use of TIF as a tool for cities to promote economic development.
- Continue to join with other county and city organizations opposing reverse referendum.
- Oppose legislative efforts to restrict city use of, or add a reverse referendum process, to the gas and electric franchise fee statutes.
- Work with the League of Minnesota Cities, Metro Cities and other local government partners in a collaborative manner to advance key local governmental legislative objectives.
- Support Metropolitan Council changes, including staggered terms, elected city officials’ significant participation in nominating Metropolitan Council members, and increased transparency in the appointment
- Engage NMMA Community Partners in legislative efforts to more effectively carry the NMMA message to elected officials and the governor’s administration.
- Conduct legislative candidate forums in NMMA member city districts to inform candidates on NMMA issues and to assist voters in determining their choices.
- Support efforts of the NMMA Water Work Group to establish policy positions on water issues.
- Engage NMMA stakeholders to endorse and promote regional water supply facilities.
- Assist Champlin to secure funding for the restoration of the Champlin Mill Pond Deep Water Habitat/Fishery.
- Monitor the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency and potential regulation changes which would make it more difficult for cities to develop closed dump sites.
- PUBLIC SAFETY: Support the expansion of the North Metro Law Enforcement Training Facility in Maple Grove.
- HOUSING: Support consistent application of state housing financing programs to help facilitate local housing goals in addition to state goals.
- ENVIRONMENT: Support the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency and Andover’s efforts to secure funding for
removing the hazardous waste pit at the Waste Disposal Engineering (WDE) Landfill.
- ELECTIONS: Support legislation creating early voting opportunities that create administrative and financial
efficiencies for local governments.
- REGIONAL RECREATION: Assist in securing funding for a competition sized swimming pool in New Hope.