2017 Legislative Action Plan
North Metro Highway Construction Projects
- Assist Coon Rapids and Anoka to secure funding to construct third lanes on Trunk Highway 10 between Hanson Boulevard and 7th Avenue in Anoka.
- Assist Ramsey and Anoka to secure funding to construct all recommended Trunk Highway 10 Access Planning Study improvements.
- Assist Maple Grove to secure funding to complete Trunk Highway 610 and advocate for improvements through the Fish Lake split and expanding capacity on I-94 from Maple Grove to the west.
- Work with Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park, Hennepin County, the Minnesota Department of Transportation and the Metropolitan Council to resolve Trunk Highway 252 transportation system safety and congestion issues.
- Assist the North Metro I-35W Corridor Coalition in securing funding for implementation of recommendations of the Managed Lane Study between Minneapolis and Forest Lake.
- Support efforts to build a Trunk Highway 65 coalition.
- Support efforts to build a Trunk Highway 10 coalition.
- Support efforts to relieve congestion on Highway 169 in the North Metro south of I-94.
- Work with the Minnesota Department of Transportation, legislative leadership and transportation committees, Governor’s administration, Metropolitan Council, Minnesota Transportation Alliance and key congressional members and staff to secure increased transportation funding.
North Metro Transportation Improvement Projects
- Assist Blaine to provide significant capacity enhancements to Trunk Highway 65 including upgrading major intersections along the Trunk Highway 65 corridor.
- Assist Brooklyn Park, Maple Grove, and Champlin to secure funding for an interchange and other improvements to Highway 169 at 101st Avenue in Brooklyn Park.
- Assist Blaine to secure funding to reconstruct 105th Avenue through the National Sports Center.
- Assist Andover to serve funding for County State Aid Highway (CSAH) reconstruction/improvement projects.
Rail Crossings and Rail Safety
- Support funding for modernization and separation of rail-vehicle traffic as a critical matter of public safety and congestion relief along all major rail lines in the North Metro.
- Assist Coon Rapids to secure funding for an overpass/rail grade crossing separation along the BNSF main line at Hanson and Coon Rapids Boulevards.
- Assist Ramsey to secure funding for road/rail separation at Ramsey Boulevard along the BNSF main line, adjacent to US Highway 10.
- Assist Ramsey to secure funding for road/rail separation at Sunfish Lake Boulevard along the BNSF main line, adjacent to US Highway 10.
- Assist MnDOT to secure funding for road/rail separation along the BNSF main line at Trunk Highway 47 in Anoka.
- Work with the NMMA legislative delegation, League of Minnesota Cities, Metro Cities, Anoka County, Ramsey County and other stakeholders to be sure the collective North Metro voice is heard and ensure that the Local Government Aid and Metro Area Fiscal Disparities programs remain intact. Advocate for NMMA perspectives in debates over comprehensive tax reform proposals.
- Support and advocate for TIF legislation sought by member cities for and support the use of TIF as a tool for cities to promote economic development.
- Continue to join with other county and city organizations opposing reverse referendum.
- Oppose legislative efforts to restrict city use of, or add a reverse referendum process, to the gas and electric franchise fee statutes.
- Work with the League of Minnesota Cities, Metro Cities and other local government partners in a collaborative manner to advance key local governmental legislative objectives.
- Support legislation for staggered terms for Metropolitan Council members.
- Support efforts to provide elected city officials significant participation in nominating Metropolitan Council Board Members.
- Engage NMMA Community Partners in legislative efforts to more effectively carry the NMMA message to elected officials and the governor’s administration.
- Conduct legislative candidate forums in NMMA member city districts to inform candidates on NMMA issues and to assist voters in determining their choices.
- Support efforts of the NMMA Water Work Group to establish policy positions on water issues.
- Engage NMMA stakeholders to endorse and promote regional water supply facilities.
- Assist Champlin to secure funding for the restoration of the Champlin Mill Pond Deep Water Habitat/Fishery.
- Monitor the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency and potential regulation changes which would make it more difficult for cities to develop closed dump sites.
- Support funding to assist cities in fighting invasive plant species in North Metro lakes and rivers.
- Support the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency and Andover’s efforts to secure funding for removing the hazardous waste pit at the Waste Disposal Engineering (WDE) Landfill.
- Support consistent application of state housing financing programs to help facilitate local housing goals in addition to state goals.
- Support New Brighton’s efforts to move their local elections to the even numbered year.
- Support legislation creating early voting opportunities that create administrative and financial efficiencies for local governments.