2020 Legislative Action Plan
- Secure increased transportation funding by working with the Minnesota Department of Transportation, legislative leadership and transportation committees, Governor’s administration, Metropolitan Council, Minnesota Transportation Alliance and key congressional members.
- Support the regional efforts of:
- Highway 10 Workgroup
- North Trunk Highway 65 Coalition
- I-94 West Corridor Coalition
- 169 Coalition to relieve congestion on Highway 169 in the North Metro
- Highway 252 Conversion Group
- Connect Blue Line Now! Coalition to address barriers and begin construction on Blue Line Light Rail (Bottineau) project
- North Metro I-35W Corridor Coalition MnPASS Lane Project between Minneapolis and Lino Lakes
- Trunk Highway 10–Support funding to construct the Strategic Congestion Mitigation Lane (3rd lane) between Hanson and Round Lake Blvds in Coon Rapids
- Trunk Highway 610–Secure funding to complete 610 in Maple Grove and advocate for improvements through the Fish Lake Split and expanding capacity on I-94 from Maple Grove to the west
- Secure funding for County State Aid Highway (CSAH) reconstruction/improvement projects
- Establish a MnDOT fund for the maintenance of existing noise walls
- Support funding for linking the Rice Creek North Regional Trail with other regional trails in Circle Pines
Rail Crossings and Rail Safety
- Support funding for modernization and separation of rail-vehicle traffic as a critical matter of public safety and congestion relief along all major rail lines in the North Metro.
- Secure funding for road/rail separation at Ramsey and Sunfish Lake Blvds along the BNSF main line, adjacent to US Highway 10.
- Secure funding for vehicle/pedestrian bridge crossing BNSF rail line at 57th Avenue in Fridley.
- Secure funding for road/rail separation along the BNSF main line at Trunk Highway 47 in Anoka.
- Represent NMMA perspectives in debates over comprehensive tax reform proposals. Work with the NMMA legislative delegation, League of Minnesota Cities, Metro Cities, Anoka County, Hennepin County, Ramsey County and other stakeholders to be sure the collective North Metro voice is heard and to ensure that the Local Government Aid and Metro Area Fiscal Disparities programs remain intact.
- Support and advocate for TIF legislation sought by member cities for and support the use of TIF as a tool for cities to promote economic development.
- Oppose legislative efforts to restrict city use of, or add a reverse referendum process, to the gas and electric franchise fee statutes.
- Collaborate with city groups to support legislation to provide the statutory authority necessary to impose a fee for future street improvements.
- Work with the League of Minnesota Cities, Metro Cities and other local government partners in a collaborative manner to advance key local governmental legislative objectives.
- Assist Maple Grove in resolving Hennepin County road/bridge funding to best meet the road and bridge needs in Maple Grove.
- Support Metropolitan Council changes, including staggered terms, elected city officials’ significant participation in nominating Metropolitan Council members, and increased transparency in the appointment
- Engage NMMA Community Partners in legislative efforts to more effectively carry the NMMA message to elected officials and the governor’s administration.
- Conduct legislative candidate forums in NMMA member city districts to inform candidates on NMMA issues and to assist voters in determining their choices.
- PUBLIC SAFETY: Support the expansion of the North Metro Law Enforcement Training Facility in Maple Grove.
- PUBLIC SAFETY: Support efforts to improve pedestrian safety on Trunk Highway 47 between Osborne Road in Fridley to U.S. Highway 10 in Coon Rapids.
- HOUSING: Support consistent application of state housing financing programs to help facilitate local housing goals in addition to state goals.
- ELECTIONS: Support legislation creating early voting opportunities that create administrative and financial efficiencies for local governments.
- LICENSING AGENTS: Advance legislation to address the shift in labor from the state to local license bureaus and to assure survivablility and sustainability for local DVS offices.
- RECREATION: Support funding for the Mighty Ducks program.
- PUBLIC SAFETY: Collaborate with city groups on public safety PTSD issues.
- PUBLIC SAFETY: Support funding for the Coon Creek Regional Trail Pedestrian Bridge in Coon Rapids.
- REGIONAL IMPROVEMENT: Support improving river access by funding the Mississippi Point Park Project in Champlin.
- QUALITY OF LIFE: Support the Center for Innovation and the Arts bonding request of $7M by Minnesota State Colleges and Universities.
- Support efforts of the NMMA Water Work Group to establish policy positions on water issues.
- Engage NMMA stakeholders to endorse and promote regional water supply facilities.
- Monitor the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency and potential regulation changes which would make it more difficult for cities to develop closed dump sites.
- Seek additional transparency in Watershed rulemaking by providing city involvement, and consideration of the impact on developers and other stakeholders. Provide for an appeals process as part of the adoption of rules.