Thank you to Brooklyn Park for hosting the November board meeting.
Crest View Senior Communities CEO Shirley Barnes (standing in the attached photo) provided insights on trends. For the second time in her career, she’s seeing a saturation of the market for senior housing and a workforce shortage on the horizon. Providers like Crest View are responding, partly by partnering with others in the community.
Rep. Erin Koegel reported on a Highway 47 safety audit released this week. She’s interested in more stakeholders coming to the table in a program called Toward Zero Deaths.
Troy Olsen reported we have seven changes in our legislative delegation for 2019. All will be invited to the January Board meeting.
Brooklyn Park City Councilwoman Lisa Jacobson provided an overview of what’s happening in town. It’s impressive. Jobs are growing faster than the state average. There’s interest in building a performing arts center at North Hennepin (on the proposed Blue Line). Maybe a bonding request in the future? D’Amico is taking over food service at the Edinburgh Golf Course Clubhouse in January.
New things I learned from city updates:
- Expect a four-hour wait at Top Golf in Brooklyn Center during peak periods.
- #NoStove or #NoOven is trending in Maple Grove because there are plenty of restaurant choices for those who don’t want to cook.
- Mounds View is working on a memorial park idea that would include recognition of two residents who died in the 35W bridge collapse.
- Ramsey celebrated the largest solar garden of its kind at a grand opening with Connexus.
- Dayton is hosting an open house for the Dayton Parkway Interchange (formerly Brockton Interchange) at Faithbrook Church, 14100 Elm Creek Road, Dayton, on Nov. 26, from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
I hope you have the January Board meeting on your calendar. We’ll elect two new leaders (Mayor Jerry Koch and Mayor Ryan Karasek are headed for the ballot). We’ll thank outgoing leaders Mayor Kathi Hemken and Mayor Dave Bartholomay. We’ll hear from a panel of Community Partners. And, we’ll share our legislative work plan with legislators who can make it.
We start (and finish) an hour earlier, 4:30 p.m., on Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2019, at the Ewald conference center, 1000 Westgate Dr., St. Paul.
Next month, the Operating Committee will meet Wednesday, Dec. 19, 11:30 a.m., in Circle Pines.